As someone who has spent years of my life eating a vegetarian or vegan diet, I’ve made a lot of veggie burgers. Some of them have been okay & some have been mushy & horrible. None of them have ever been really good- until now. I made these last week when I had a friend & her children over for dinner & we all loved them. They are easy to make but require a bit of time because the chilling step is essential.
Vegan Black Bean Burgers
Makes 4 large burgers, 4pts+ each
1 can black beans- drained
1 small onion- quartered
1 carrot- peeled & cut in half
1 stalk celery- cut in thirds
2 tsp favorite seasoning blend (I used Mrs. Dash)
2 Tbls Ketchup
2 Tbls soy sauce
1 cup old fashioned oats
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbls nutritional yeast (could be omitted if you don’t have it, just add an extra Tbls flour)
2 Tbls whole wheat flour
1. Put all ingredients in food processor & process until you get a smooth consistent mixture
2. Place bowl of food processor in fridge & let chill, loosely covered for at least a half hr or up to one hour, if you have time.
3. Form 4 patties from mixture ( it is going to seem like they are not going to bake up well- don’t be scared)
4. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes, flipping half way thru
5. Serve with your favorite condiments & veggies on a whole grain roll or sandwich thin. (Not included in pts+ count)
Sorry for the sucky picture. I was so excited about this meal that I started eating before taking a picture. Those salt & vinegar oven fries- to die for! Recipe coming Thursday!
* I think this would freeze & reheat well after baking. I didn’t try it but will next time.