The honey requested that I make her a strawberry rhurbarb pie. She had never had one. I had never made one. Since her request is often chocolate chip cookies, I was excited to experiment with something a little different. It was incredible. The best dessert I have made in a while. I knew I would have to share it. I used a recipe from this cookbook for a no roll pie crust and it was perfect in this pie. It was a thicker crust but it worked well to balance the sweetness and add to it’s rustic charm. You can use your favorite single crust pie recipe.
Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Pie
Favorite recipe for single pie crust
1 1/4 c sugar
1/3 c flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 c rhubarb (sliced into 1/2 in thick chunks)
2 c strawberries (quartered)
1/4 c coconut flakes (optional)
1/3 c chopped walnuts
1 c all purpose flour
2/3 c white sugar
1/3 c unsalted butter- chilled
1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 400*
2. Line 9 inch pie plate with your favorite crust
3. Mix cinnamon, flour, nutmeg and cinnamon for filling. Add strawberries and rhubarb and toss to coat. Pour into pie crust.
4. Sprinkle filling with coconut (optional) and walnuts.
5. Mix sugar, salt and flour for crumb topping. Cut in cold butter. Spread crumb topping over filling.
6. Bake at 400* for 50-60 minutes.
8. Enjoy! (with a scoop of vanilla ice cream if you are so inclined)
This pie just tasted like summer to me. It brought back memories of childhood in my grandma’s kitchen and all the good things that come along with that. This pie will definitely become a yearly tradition as a kick off to summer dessert.