If you have ever grown zucchini or summer squash, or even know someone who has, you are likely to have it piling up around the house mid summer. As much as I like it on the grill or turned into bread, I still had to come up with some other options. This is one of those options I came up with. They are great as an appetizer or a healthier alternative to tater tots as a side dish.
Bacon Cheddar Squash Bites
Makes 24 bites
1 c grated zucchini
1 c grated summer squash
1/2 medium onion – diced
1/2 c grated cheddar cheese
1/2 c panko bread crumbs
5 slices crisp cooked bacon- crumbled
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400°
2. Coat mini muffin pan with olive oil or cooking spray
3. After grating zucchini/squash, place into dish towel & squeeze out excess liquid- This is very important!
4. After zucchini is drained, mix all ingredients in medium bowl until well combined.
5. Press mixture into mini muffin cups
6. Bake at 400° for 20mins. Let cool slightly & serve.