We are big fans of any kind of Mexican food in this house. Burritos, nachos, quesadillas, tacos. Especially tacos. We stuck with the standard ground beef version for years but have really branched out over the last year or so. These tacos with lean ground turkey and black beans are a little healthier than the standard version but just as delicious- maybe even more so. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
Turkey and Black Bean Tacos
serves 6 (2 tacos each)
1 lb of lean ground turkey (I used 93% lean)
1 medium red onion- diced
1.5 cups black beans (or 1 can- drained & rinsed)
2 cloves garlic- minced
3/4 cup water
1 Tbls chilli powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (this makes it a bit spicy, so omit if that is not your thing)
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
2 tsps ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
12 taco shells
toppings of choice- sharp cheddar cheese, diced avacadoe, sliced black olives, salsa, plain greek yogurt (or sour cream), chopped tomatoes, lettuce, banana peppers etc
1. Cook ground turkey and diced onion in large skillet over medium heat until turkey is cooked (about 10-15 minutes), stirring occasionally.
2. Once turkey is cooked, add black beans and garlic and cook about 1 minute.
3. Add 3/4 cup water and seasonings. Cook until water has cooked in/evaporated (about 10 minutes).
4. Heat shells as instructed on box
5. Divide meat/bean mixture between shells (if eating all right away)
6. Top as desired