When my partner recently expressed an interest in trying quinoa, Mexican seemed like the right direction because it is pretty much always a winner in our house. I have seen several versions of this idea floating around Pinterest and decided to go ahead and make my own. This is easy to put together and can even be made a few days ahead of time and then just topped with cheese and baked when you are ready to eat it. It is great for a quick and healthy weeknight meal.
Quinoa Enchilada Casserole
2 cups cooked quinoa
1 1/4 c enchilada sauce (or one 10 ounce can)
1/2 c frozen corn kernels
1 cup black beans (drained and rinsed if from a can)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
8 oz cheddar cheese- divided
-diced avacado, diced tomato, sliced black olives and plain greek yogurt (or sour cream), and salsa for topping as desired
1. Preheat oven to 375º
2. Combine cooked quinoa, enchilada sauce, corn, black beans, spices and half of the cheese in large bowl.
3. Spray 8×8 pan with olive oil and spread mixture in pan.
4. Top with remaining cheese and bake.
~ 20 minutes if putting in oven right away
~ 30-35 minutes if it has been made previously and chilled
5. Allow to cool about 10 minutes.
6. Once on serving plates/bowls, top with diced avacado, tomato, black olives, salsa and plain greek yogurt as desired.