We really love eggplant, but I do not have a lot of eggplant recipes in my repertoire. I recently came across a recipe for a crock pot eggplant sauce that I didn’t really have all of the ingredients for, so I improvised and came up with this. I do not know what the original recipe tastes like, but this one is damn good. We have had it for dinner twice in one month, which is pretty much unheard of around here. It is packed with veggies and requires little hands on time. The best part about this recipe is that it is an all day crock pot recipe! I see so many recipes that call for 4-6 hrs in the crock pot (I have some of them myself) but that usually doesn’t work for me. I like to use the crock pot for when I will be working all day and I just want to come home to a nice hot meal. This recipe cooks for 8 hrs but can easily be cooked for 10 if you need it to.
Crock Pot Eggplant & Sausage Sauce
3 Italian style sausage links- removed from casing
1 medium eggplant- peeled and diced into 1 inch chunks
2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
8 oz fresh mushrooms- sliced
1 6oz can tomato paste
1 medium red onion- diced
1 medium green pepper- diced
1/2 c dry red wine (or beef broth)
6 cloves garlic- minced
1 heaping tsp each of dried basil and oregano*
1/2 tsp dried thyme*
* fresh herbs are great if you have them on hand
6 c cooked pasta of choice
1 c fresh Parmesan cheese
1. Remove sausage links from casing and cook sausage in medium pan until done, breaking up links as they cook.
2. Add peeled eggplant, canned tomatoes, mushrooms, tomato paste, onion, pepper, garlic and spices to large crock pot (6 qt). Stir to combine.
*It is going to look like this and you are going to think that there is no way this is going to turn into any kind of sauce, but you will just have to trust me on this. Eight to ten hours in the crock pot does some magic.
3. Cook 8-10 hrs on low heat. If you are home you can stir it occasionally but it is fine on its own too.
4. Serve over pasta and sprinkled with fresh Parmesan.
5. Enjoy! (with a glass of dry red wine if you’re into that kind of thing)