My darling partner ate a lot more processed food before we got together. She was not the most terrible eater by any means, but often relied on convenience items for quick lunches or late night dinners. Despite an aversion to tortillas, she really liked keeping a package of frozen burritos in the freezer for these occasions. After looking at the questionable ingredient list on the package of these burritos, I decided I could make my own version at home. These are quick to make and can be customized to fit your family’s tastes, but this is a general guideline. I most often make this version, but I have also mixed in leftover taco meat (turkey, pork or ground beef), extra veggies etc.
Homemade Freezer Burritos
makes 8 burritos
8 Tortillas (I try to get ones with minimal ingredients- flour, salt, water and oil is pretty much all it takes)
1.5 cups (or 1 can) refried beans
1 cup salsa
1 boneless skinless chicken breast- cooked & shredded
6 oz extra sharp cheddar cheese- shredded
1. Make sure tortillas are at room temperature so they roll easily without tearing.
2. Mix beans, salsa, and shredded chicken together
3. Divide mixture evenly between tortillas and spread down the middle of each
4. Divide cheese evenly between tortillas and sprinkle on bean mixture
5. Roll as pictured below.
6. Place each burrito in individual sandwich bag & then put all burritos in gallon freezer bag. This makes them easy to just grab from the freezer and toss in a lunch bag.
7. Place gallon bag in freezer.
8. Reheat in microwave 1-2 minutes depending on how frozen it is and how your microwave works.
9. Top with additional salsa, sour cream/greek yogurt, guacamole etc
*if using gluten free tortillas, Aldi brand are the best I have found so far!