We do a lot of grilling in the summer. Dinner is often some kind of meat and whatever veggies need to get used up thrown on the grill while we work in the garden or enjoy a cocktail in the backyard. These grill pizzas are a nice change in the meat and veggies routine. Using pre-made Naan makes things much easier than using pizza dough (especially when cooking on a charcoal grill). The toppings can be switched out to your own taste but this combination is always a winner for us.
Pesto Grill Pizzas
2 pre-made Naan Bread
4 Tbls Pesto
4 oz Fresh Mozzarella (thinly sliced)
1/2 each red, yellow and green pepper ( I slice off the entire half and cut into two pieces for grilling)
1/2 red onion (thick sliced rings)
4 oz sliced cremini mushrooms
3 Tbls olive oil
2 Sausage Links (these are turkey Italian but I have used chicken & pork Italian as well)
Fresh grated Parmesan for garnish
Medium Tomato- diced (optional)
1. Get your grill ready. We use charcoal and there is not a lot of temperature control, so we just start when it is ready. While grill is heating, chop pepper and onion and toss with 2 Tbls olive oil. Be careful with the onions because you want them to stay together as best as possible. Toss mushrooms with remaining olive oil and wrap in foil.
2. Put peppers, onions and sausage links directly on grill. Put foil packet on grill. Cook until peppers are blistered and sausage are cooked. Onions may still have a little “bite” to them and that’s ok. Cooking times will vary based on your grill.
3. While items are grilling, place Naan bread on grill safe pan. Top each Naan bread with 2 Tbls Pesto and 2 oz of mozzarella. You can place bread directly on grill but I find it easier to use a pan.
4. Once items are cooked, remove from grill and slice all into bite size pieces. Pile grilled veggies and sausage on Naan. Top with fresh Parmesan. Return to grill and cook with cover closed until the cheese melts (again, times will vary based on your grill).
5. Remove from grill, Top with diced tomatoes and cut each Naan into 4 pieces.