Life has been really really busy lately. We are both working 12+ hr days 4 or 5 days a week and trying to get ourselves and our home ready for Spring, see our friends and family and spend time together when we have a bit of free time. All of that and the normal business of living~ cleaning, cooking, errands etc. Needless to say, crock pot recipes have been a lifesaver. I don’t always love food from the crock pot but I have found/created a few recipes that are tried and true for us. Pulled Pork is one of them. I buy a large 5-6 lb pork shoulder roast from Wegmans and cut it in half and throw it in the basement freezer for when I need a crock pot recipe. The half roast makes enough for about 4 meals for us. I often make the roast and we eat it as BBQ pulled pork sandwiches with homemade cole slaw the first night and pulled pork and black bean tacos later in the week. I am sharing my basic pulled pork recipe today and I will share the taco recipe later this week or next. I usually just add bottled BBQ sauce to the shredded pulled pork for sandwiches so no real reason for a recipe there
Crock Pot Pulled Pork
2-3 lb pork roast
2 bay leaves
1 Tbls cumin
6 cloves garlic- peeled
1 large onion- thinly sliced
salt & pepper
1/2 cup broth or water
1. Trim fat from pork roast ( I leave a little, but cut off the big chunks)
2. Cover roast with cumin, salt & pepper
3. Place bay leaves, sliced onion, garlic cloves and broth in crock pot. Add pork on top of other ingredients.
4. Cook on low 8-10 hrs. Pork should just pull apart with fork.
5. Remove bay leaves.
6. Shred Pork with forks right in crock pot and mix onions, broth and garlic cloves into shredded pork. The garlic cloves will just “melt” right in.
7. Serve as desired.