That’s quite the title, but all of the ingredients play an equal roll in the deliciousness of these and I didn’t want to leave anything out. I have not really done much gluten free baking from scratch and these are no different. I will get there eventually, but for now I am relying on box mixes and I am okay with that. These are really simple to make and really good. The cake itself is not very sweet, but the frosting makes up for it and the toasted pecans are really just the perfect finish. These would be great to take to Thanksgiving dinner or a nice fall treat for work.
Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes w/Maple Cream Cheese Frosting & Toasted Pecans
Makes 18 cupcakes
1 bag/box gluten free vanilla cake mix
1 can pumpkin puree
2 Tbls pumpkin pie spice (or a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves)
8 oz cream cheese (softened)
6 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 cup chopped pecans- toasted
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Line 18 cupcake spots with paper liners.
2. Combine cake mix, pumpkin, egg and pumpkin pie spice and stir until smooth.
3. Divide evenly amongst liners and bake 18-22 minutes.
4. Remove and let cool completely.
5. For frosting, combine softened cream cheese, 3 cups of powdered sugar and maple syrup in stand mixer (or large mixing bowl). Start on low so the powder sugar doesn’t fly everywhere (I always forget). Gradually add remaining sugar until combined. Increase speed incrementally and let it go for about a minute once it gets all the way up. Frost cooled cupcakes. (There will be extra frosting)
6. Toast chopped pecans as desired. I use a dry skillet over medium heat for a few minutes and jostle them around every 30 seconds or so. Some people prefer the oven. I have even heard of doing them in the microwave. Once pecans have toasted and cooled, top frosted cupcakes with them.