Woah. I came up with something seriously delicious right here. Sadly, this was right before I learned I had to give up gluten, so I can’t use this recipe anymore, but you can! Somebody has to enjoy these delicious muffins. We can even call them healthy because they involve whole wheat,cherries, dark chocolate and minimal sugar. These muffins are a great Sunday brunch treat or something a little different to share with coworkers. They were so good that I actually didn’t get a picture of them once they were baked. We seriously just ate them all before I even thought about it. No joke.
Please do not substitute skim milk in the recipe. The fat in the milk helps keep them moist without adding a ton of butter or oil.
Here’s the one and only before picture-
Whole Wheat Cherry & Dark Chocolate Muffins
makes 6 large muffins or 12 standard muffins
1 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg (beaten)
3/4 c whole milk
1/4 c butter (melted and cooled slightly)
1 tsp vanilla
1 c coarsely chopped cherries (fresh or frozen will work)
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter muffin tins (or use paper muffin liners)
1. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in large bowl. Set aside.
2. Beat egg in small bowl. Add milk.
3. Add to flour mixture and stir until mostly moist.
4.Add melted butter and vanilla. Stir just until combined. Do not overmix!
5. Fold in cherries and dark chocolate chips.
6. Divide batter evenly into muffin tin.
7. Bake in 400 degree oven. 28-30 minutes for large muffins. 20-22 for standard size muffins.
8. Remove from oven and let cool at least 15 minutes.